Fwd: Installation without sysinstall

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 02:38:56 UTC 2015

Sergey Lukin wrote:
> Hi,
> Just an update to my previous email. Turns out, sysinstall doesn't freeze,
> it just didn't configure the keyboard layout properly. In result, for
> instance, F1 press performs as if "E" keystroke was pressed and F2 as if
> "C" was pressed. I guess I should choose to "configure kernel via CLI"
> option before proceeding to the sysinstall and configure keyboard layout
> there. Is my guess correct? Is there any advice you could provide me with
> while I'm hacking my way alone?
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Sergey

This question was posted to the wrong mailing list.
freebsd-doc at freebsd.org is for subjects about documentation.
This question should be posted to freebsd-questions at freebsd.org which I
have done with this reply.

4.3 is no longer supported. It reached EOL [end of life] a long time
ago. In newer versions of FreeBSD sysinstall
has been replaced with bsdinstall. If release 10.1 won't install on that
old PC, then remove its hard drive and put it into newer
PC and perform MBR install from there. Then return the hard drive to old
PC and it should boot and run ok

Another suggestion is to search the questions archives using keywords
"thinkpad, freebsd sysinsall error", Good chance your
problem has been discussed when 4.x was supported and thinkpad was a
current production manufacture model PC.