emulate a Xorg configuration of GNU/Linux (Fedora 21) on FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 4 18:07:20 UTC 2015

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 12:40:46 -0500, Xavier Freebsd Questio via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Curiously, with many GNU/Linux flavours, for example, Fedora 21; it get
> out the image of desktop by default settings to HDMI of TV.

Interesting. What port on the laptop are you using?
Is there a "chain of adapters" involved?

What GPU driver does X use on the Linux system?

> > > My actual /etc/X11/xorg.conf is:
> > >
> > > http://pastebin.com/ji5QgvE6
> >
> > The significant parts are:
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >         Identifier  "Card1"
> >         Driver      "vesa"
> >         BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Maybe you cannot use VESA together with the limited range
> > of valid HDMI resolutions...
> >

> It is default FreeBSD Xorg configuration generator.

So your GPU wasn't properly detected. Are you sure it
is supported?

> The problem is: I have an Intel video card, not NVIDIA ...

In that case, the correct driver has to be installed
and loaded, but the sections could look almost the
same, except that the Intel GPU driver (and maybe
specific options) is set.

> My question is, if with GNU/Linux it show by default configuration,
> isn't possible in FreeBSD ?

Maybe that Linux uses a different approach to detect
the GPU and load the driver for X. You can always
use "pciconf -lv | less" to check for the correct
identification of the GPU, and then add the correct
package (for example xf86-video-intel). Then restart
X and it will probably load the correct driver.

Probably you can go without xorg.conf at all when
the driver is available.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany