emulate a Xorg configuration of GNU/Linux (Fedora 21) on FreeBSD

Xavier Freebsd Questio xavierfreebsdquestio at aim.com
Sun Jan 4 17:40:56 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 04, 2015 at 06:02:40PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:

Hi Polytropon ,

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 11:20:52 -0500, Xavier Freebsd Questio via
freebsd-questions wrote:
> > I have this keyboard:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/ltjj2a2
>
> This one?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XJlzFI79lWQ/VFHSMP0KOsI/AAAAAAAAJOc/dVyuwlnbcMs/s1600/ES1_3.jpg

Yes, it is.

> > Your refer to "Fn" F5 and F6 keys ?
>
> Correct.

Ok. I too.

> > I try it and don't get output for
> > VGA external connector when I plugin it in HDMI input connector of
TV.

> Ah! That could be the problem!

Yes.

> HDMI isn't capable of mapping _all_ imaginable DVI (or VGA)
> outputs generated by a computer. This usually shows that you
> can use a TV as a computer monitor in many cases, but not
> in all cases. This might be such a case. A common problem
> seems to be that HDMI probably doesn't transmit the DDC
> information properly, so the external screen isn't detected
> correctly, and therefore all the autodetect magic fails.
>
> Another problem could be that those keys don't work, or to
> be precise: They require a proprietary driver to work, which
> means that their function is not "in the laptop", but "in
> the vendor-supplied software", which is bad.

Curiously, with many GNU/Linux flavours, for example, Fedora 21; it get
out the image of desktop by default settings to HDMI of TV.

> > My actual /etc/X11/xorg.conf is:
> >
> > http://pastebin.com/ji5QgvE6
>
> The significant parts are:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Card1"
>         Driver      "vesa"
>         BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
> EndSection
>
> Maybe you cannot use VESA together with the limited range
> of valid HDMI resolutions...

It is default FreeBSD Xorg configuration generator.

> > Any idea ?
>
> First, try to load X with the correct driver for the
> video "card" in your system. Then you can go ahead and
> fine-tune xorg.conf with the _actual_ configuration
> data of the TV screen: size (inches or centimeters),
> pixels (the _real_ number of them), DPI and so on.
> You can define the settings for the mode it supports.
> Probably you have to review the technical parameters
> in the manual.
>
> You could use the following sections as templates:
>
> # snippet from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"Monitor0"
> 	VendorName	"Eizo"
> 	ModelName	"FlexScan F980"
> 	HorizSync	30.0 - 137.0
> 	VertRefresh	50.0 - 160.0
> 	Option		"DPMS"			"false"
> 	DisplaySize	410 305
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Card0"
> 	Driver		"nvidia"
> 	VendorName	"nVidia Corporation"
> 	BoardName	"G73 [GeForce 7600 GS]"
> 	BusID		"PCI:2:0:0"
> 	Screen		0
> 	Option		"NvAGP"			"3"
> 	Option		"UseEdid"		"FALSE"
> 	Option		"UseEdidDpi"		"FALSE"
> 	Option		"DPI"			"96 x 96"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier	"Screen0"
> 	Device		"Card0"
> 	Monitor		"Monitor0"
> 	DefaultDepth	24
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Viewport	0 0
> 		Depth		24
> 		Visual		"TrueColor"
> 		Modes		"1400x1050" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
"320x240"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> # end of file snippet

The problem is: I have an Intel video card, not NVIDIA ...

My question is, if with GNU/Linux it show by default configuration,
isn't possible in FreeBSD ?

> You can see some simplification here.
>
> Please note that this example is from my home computer
> which uses a CRT, so there is no "the one" screen size
> and no fixed DPI value. :-)

Ok.

Ideas ?

Thanks.