Still cant update nvidia driver.

Dutch Ingraham stoa at gmx.us
Sat Feb 28 23:39:25 UTC 2015

On 02/28/15 18:09, reg at dwf.com wrote:

> I hate to keep bothering this list with what seems to be a simple
> problem, but Im new to pc-bsd, and what I read, and the suggestions
> Im getting just don't work. I need some help.
>
> I need to replace the nvidia-driver-340 with nvidia-driver-304 to
> support my nvidia 6200 video card.
>
> I have been pointed a the port, I can get into single user mode and
> mount all the file systems.  But the simple 'make install' in the 304
> directory does not work, claiming it cant overwrite one of the 340
> files.  'make deinstall' of the 340 package was also suggested but
> it appears its not a port.  'pkg remove nvidia-driver-340' was also
> suggested, it dies with a 'Package(s) not found'.  A simple renaming
> of the file that needs to be overwritten doesn't work either, seems
> that 'port install' must be working from some list of files that
> it has squirreled away, as it still complains.
>
> Now at least one user says he did this, so it must be possible,
> can someone please give me a method that really works?
>
> Thanks

I haven't used pcbsd for a while, but if I recall correctly, the system
should detect your nvidia hardware automatically.  You likely need to
have installed pcbsd's own driver package with <pkg install
pcbsd-meta-nvidia>.  Have you searched through the handbook for "nvidia"
and followed that guidance?