Why all the fancy ASCII art in the boot loader?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Feb 27 18:21:46 UTC 2015

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:05:53 -0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> The company that I work for ships appliances and VM images for said
> appliance; having a VGA splash screen would be great.
>
> I'm working on VESA support for the loader (and general graphics
> framebuffer support for all platforms, since not all the world is
> x86.)

Do you know about this project?

https://wiki.freebsd.org/OliverFromme/BootLoader

Maybe it could be put into active development and finally
become a (selectable) part of the default OS installation?

> If nothing else, being able to have loader and kernel boot into
> a high res text mode would be really helpful for debugging.

Until the letters become unreadable. ;-)

No, seriously: Tiny letters in text mode, usually a "feature"
of today's Linux, can be annoying when you don't sit infront
of a 35" 16:9 flat panel (and instead _have to use_ a 11" or
14" 4:3 screen). Trying to solve problems under such circumstances
is harder than in the common 80x25 environment due to readablilty.
But of course, YMMV applies.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany