Why all the fancy ASCII art in the boot loader?

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 27 18:05:54 UTC 2015

On 27 February 2015 at 02:15, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> How many times a day do we see boot loader menus and startup messages?
>
> Many machines most likely are up for much longer than just 24 hours.
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=uptime
>
> Regarding to ASCII art or no ASCII art, does it matter what a boot
> loader menu and startup messages look like?

The company that I work for ships appliances and VM images for said
appliance; having a VGA splash screen would be great.

I'm working on VESA support for the loader (and general graphics
framebuffer support for all platforms, since not all the world is
x86.) If nothing else, being able to have loader and kernel boot into
a high res text mode would be really helpful for debugging.

-a