What's in my hard drive? How can I get rid of it?

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Thu Feb 19 21:35:25 UTC 2015

On 02/19/15 11:24, Jerry wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 10:04:22 -0700, jd1008 stated:
>
>> What a pile of manure.
>> Any decent and intelligent lawyer could appeal such
>> cased and have the conviction thrown out of court -
>> this, assuming that our court systems and judges are
>> actually fully beholden to the constitution and the rule
>> of law, and due process.
> Just two cases in point:
>
> Los Angeles County
>
> Francisco "Franky" Carrillo was convicted of the 1991 murder of Donald Sarpy
> and sentenced to life in jail. His conviction was reversed by the Los Angeles
> County Superior Court on March 14, 2011, after he had served twenty years in
> prison.
>
> Geronimo Pratt, a Black Panther leader, was convicted in 1972 of the 1968
> murder of a white school teacher and sentenced to life in jail. He was
> exonerated in 1997.
>
> There are literally 100's of cases that are sometimes corrected after 20+
> years. Is 20+ years your idea of success? By the way, this is my number 1
> argument against the death penalty. Correct me if I am wrong, but they have
> not discovered how to reanimate a corpse yet have they?
>
> It was reported, and I forgot what agency did the study, that not less than
> 2% and not more than 7% of all incarcerated men and women in the US are
> totally innocent of the crime they were convicted of.It went on to state that
> these convictions were obtained though a combination of official misconduct
> by the prosecution and sloppy or deliberately engineered investigations by
> the police.
>
> These cases from NY are interesting because I actually knew some of the cops
> involved in the Westchester case.
>
> New York
>
> New York County
>
> The Central Park Five were five Harlem teens convicted of the 1989 assault
> and rape of a jogger in New York's Central Park. They served their sentences
> but afterwards their convictions were set aside in 2002 when DNA evidence
> cleared them and another man confessed to the crime.
>
> Westchester County
>
> In 1998 Kian Daniel Khatibi was convicted of a double stabbing after
> detectives from the Village of Pleasantville falsely claimed that the victims
> had identified Kian as their attacker and then forwarded this false
> information to the Westchester County District Attorney. In 2008, Kian was
> released from prison as the truth unraveled and the conviction was overturned.
>
> Jeffrey Mark Deskovic was convicted of the 1989 of rape and murder of a high
> school classmate and sentenced to 15 years-life in jail. He was exonerated in
> 2006 when the DNA from the crime was matched to another person.

Yeah, & OJ Simpson was freed .... Your point is ? Any human endeavor
will be fraught w/ human shortcomings, but the system in the USA is the
best thing going, in spite of the current administration, has been for
200+ years. One can always cite individual foulups, but extrapolating
those to the general case is flawed logic. That '2 -  7 %' number sounds
like B.S. to me, when you look at all the scum-bags who get off, rich
(John Gotti, twice, 'Fast Eddie' Edwards (Gov.(D) of La. in the '80's),
also twice) & poor. The USA justice system is designed to err on the
side of letting scoundrels off rather than jailing innocents ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III