Mysql server in a jail

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 25 15:33:54 UTC 2015

On 24/12/2015 21:18, David Mehler wrote:
> Is anyone running MySQL 5.6 server in a jail? I'm attempting to do so
> and can not get it to start. I've googled this and found others with
> this problem, but they had permissions issues which I am not having.
> I'm getting no MySQL output at all even when I comment out the
> /dev/null options in the MySQL startup file, I have no additional
> information except that the server is not starting in the jail.

Works for me -- absolutely no problem.

Did you look at the error log?  That's usually found in
/var/db/mysql/${hostname}.err

There's plenty of configuration errors that can prevent mysql starting
up -- if you're upgrading from an older version of mysql, even though it
may have used to work, watch out for some configuration parameters
needing to be modified due to changed requirements from the program.
mysql will tell you exactly what the problem is in that case.

Oh, and at some point the old my.cnf location of /var/db/mysql/my.cnf,
already deprecated, will switch to /usr/local/etc/my.cnf -- you might
not be the config file you thought you were.

	Cheers,

	Matthew