[Phishing]Re: Migrating to FreeBSD from Debian

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 7 16:12:55 UTC 2015

On 2015/12/07 15:54, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
> What does the warning mean? That once I have installed a single package
> I can never use ports? So if I want a port, and already have packages, I
> have to uninstall all of the packages first and can never in the future
> install any package? That seems extreme. Or is there a less restrictive
> interpretation that is more correct?

Usually the reason for mixing ports and packages is because you want
something compiled with non-default options.

The difficulty arises when you find that despite all your best
intentions, you end up with the default package anyhow, or you end up
installing all the dependencies for the default package and not the ones
for your customized version, or you end up installing a lot of build
dependency things you didn't really want.  And then when you go to
upgrade, it breaks all over again in similar but not exactly the same ways.

It's loss of control which is the problem.  You may be lucky in that it
'just works' with your customizations, or it may become a nightmare of
dependency hell from which all right-thinking sysadmins would run away,
screaming.

	Cheers,

	Matthew