Doesn't switch back to text mode

Erwin Pacua erwin.pacua at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 17:55:30 UTC 2015

Bertram Scharpf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on my new notebook I am doing a dual boot installation with
> FreeBSD and Linux. I set up Grub2.
>
> By default, Grub2 starts in graphical mode. But when my
> FreeBSD once is in graphical mode, it refuses to switch back
> to text mode. Thus, when I should see the startup menu, the
> boot messages, and finally the console command line, the
> screen stays black with some colored spots on the upper
> border, and I am not able to even install X and a login
> manager. I still can ssh into the running system and shut it
> down.
>
> As far as I remember, this problem first occured on my old
> notebook when I upgraded to either FreeBSD 9 or 10. I was no
> longer able to enter the console when once running X (by
> Ctrl-Alt-F1). That did not hurt as the Grub I had there used
> to stay in text mode and X started properly.
>
> I solved the problem so far by leaving Grub2 in text mode.
> Do I have to swallow this restriction or is there a trick I
> am not aware of?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bertram

Hi Bertram,

FreeBSD probably a) sets to starts a display manager (KDE, GDM, slim) via
rc.conf. X seems not correctly setup yet; b) no xf86-
input-{mouse,keyboard,evdev} installed.

What you can do is:
- boot to single mode
- check if there is any xf86-input-* drivers installed
- comment out any display manager on rc.conf.
- enable ssh, then hook-up a second machine
- reboot
- reboot to multi-user