system temperatures

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Mon Aug 31 20:03:10 UTC 2015

On 08/31/15 13:42, Dave wrote:
> On Sunday 30 August 2015 10:49:34 you wrote:
>> It is convenient on my various linux boxen to use lm_sensors to retrieve
>> apparently accurate temps. for various system components (CPU's), as
>> well as data on fan speeds, etc. Under FreeBSD (9.3R-p21), sysctl
>> provides some of this info, but apparently inaccurately. It would be
>> sweet to fix that minor issue, seems like it would be a bit more than
>> just sweet for remote servers, etc. Do I file this as a problem report
>> of some sort ? If so, how do I go about doing that  ? TIA & have a
>> nice weekend.
> It might be worth doing this:
>
> sysctl -a | grep temp
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 42.0C
> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 42.0C
> dev.cpu.2.temperature: 42.0C
> dev.cpu.3.temperature: 42.0C
> dev.cpu.4.temperature: 42.0C
> dev.cpu.5.temperature: 42.0C
> dev.amdtemp.0.%desc: AMD CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
> dev.amdtemp.0.%driver: amdtemp
> dev.amdtemp.0.%parent: hostb4
> dev.amdtemp.0.sensor0.core0: 42.0C
>
> ...just to see what else might show up in relation to temperatures
> in the various sysctl variables.
>
> both healthd and xmbmon in their default states report a CPU temp of ~143c on my system.
> 42c is ~107F so that's not the problem.

Hmmmm .... OK, your command, followed by my usual incantation:

[root at kabini1, /etc, 3:00:06pm] 352 % sysctl -a | grep temp
amdtemp0: <AMD CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors> on hostb5
net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr: 0
net.inet6.ip6.temppltime: 86400
net.inet6.ip6.tempvltime: 604800
net.inet6.ip6.prefer_tempaddr: 0
hw.usb.template: 0
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 11.8C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 11.8C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 11.8C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 11.8C
dev.amdtemp.0.%desc: AMD CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
dev.amdtemp.0.%driver: amdtemp
dev.amdtemp.0.%parent: hostb5
dev.amdtemp.0.sensor0.core0: 11.8C
[root at kabini1, /etc, 3:00:08pm] 353 % sysctl -A | egrep
'(temperature|usage)'
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 11.7C
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00% 0.00% last 880us
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 11.7C
dev.cpu.1.cx_usage: 100.00% last 10us
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 11.7C
dev.cpu.2.cx_usage: 100.00% last 11us
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 11.7C
dev.cpu.3.cx_usage: 100.00% last 10us
[root at kabini1, /etc, 3:00:17pm] 354 %

I'd say it's off, room temp is around 76F, or about 26-ish C, & the CPU
is generating heat, so it can't be cooler (Thermodynamics). My CPU is an
AMD Sempron 3850, jaguar-kabini, quad core, fairly new, April 9 2014 to
be precise, exactly the day I bought it :-). I guess it's either
something mbd or too-new CPU, but that is rank speculation. Your numbers
look at least plausible, so I'd say you are good to go, just trying to
get myself there as well. Those CPU's are apparently fairly widely used
in laptops & low-end desktops, so while new-ish, they are certainly not
rare birds. I like the output of your command a bit better than mine, I
think I will adopt it :-) .... Any more info needed, don't hesitate.

[root at kabini1, /etc, 3:03:44pm] 354 % uname -a
FreeBSD kabini1.local 9.3-RELEASE-p24 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p24 #0: Sat
Aug 22 01:54:44 UTC 2015
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
[root at kabini1, /etc, 3:03:47pm] 355 %

--

	William A. Mahaffey III