[(borderline) OT]: memtest question

Quartz quartz at sneakertech.com
Mon Aug 31 15:42:14 UTC 2015

> I had never heard of passmark memtest until you mentioned it, but it
> appears to be the current version of memtest86, unless I am mistaken?

Sorta.

Way back when, there was only one version, "memtest86", which was an
open source freeware thing. Like a lot of smaller open source projects,
it languished for a few years with no updates. Enough people thought it
was useful that it got forked into "memtest86+" which continued for a
few years and became the defacto version. After some time, the original
not-plus version got sold off to a company called PassMark who continued
work on it (although it was clear from the get-go that they were using
it as a money mill, since for the longest time they offered no freeware
version for download).

While PassMark has continued development on their version (memtest86)
more or less continuously, memtest86+ is basically dead at this point.
Although if you see my other email, if you're not lucky enough to have a
machine that can boot their stupid UEFI version, you're effectively in
2014 forever... in which case neither version really counts as 'current'.