Zero delta ?

Chad J. Milios milios at ccsys.com
Thu Aug 27 21:11:05 UTC 2015

> On Aug 27, 2015, at 5:00 PM, Eneko Gotzon <enekogotzon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all Byte Masters.
>
> Absolute beginner starting to learn about FreeBSD so excuse this kind of
> question.
>
> In the *Who Uses FreeBSD?* section of the Handbook it is written:
>
> *Netflix has made extensive contributions to the codebase and works to
> maintain a zero delta
> <https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/nutshell.html>
> from mainline FreeBSD*.
>

> Please, what must I understand about that *zero delta* expression? Thank
> you very much.
>
> --
> Eneko Gotzon Ares
> enekogotzon at gmail.com <mailto:enekogotzon at gmail.com>

It simply means they [do their best to, community permitting] push upstream all their cool enhancements to the FreeBSD project for everyone to share in the wealth (and maintenance).

This benefits us, gaining from their experience with an expansive content distribution network and giant workloads. This benefits them as it minimizes the effort they spend doing “fork-lifts”, the merging of FreeBSD's updates into their proprietary FreeBSD variant (or inversely, re-applying their modifications to an evolving FreeBSD).

-Chad