Stop using a SATA drive

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Aug 25 16:51:56 UTC 2015

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 09:35:16 -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> You can likely send commands to USB disks for "plz sync and power down thx".

But it will be something the _device_ has to implement,
I'd say.

> You can almost always turn off and on USB ports on your computer.

Including power? The mainboards that I owned usually did not
have settings for disabling USB ports and their power...
In most cases, power was available even when the board
had power, but the machine didn't run yet.

I've read about "power_off" in "man usbconfig", but I didn't
find this actually working for a USB-attached disk...

> You can also tell SATA disks to spin down too.

Which FreeBSD system program or external utility can do this?

> There's a lot more going on in modern PCs than in the 90s.

I don't buy PC commodity hardware on a daily basis, so please
accept my apology for ongoing ignorance. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany