Stop using a SATA drive

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 22:15:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> Ye olde atacontrol had a "detach" option. Its equivalent
> is "camcontrol stop" which you have discovered. This should
> be sufficient.
>
> However, I'm doing this with SATA and external USB disks
> a lot: Issue "sync", call umount, give it some seconds
> to actually complete (!) those tasks, and then power it
> off (external power supply off for USB, combined plug
> removed from SATA disk). No problems so far.

Polytropon,

Thank you.  I've been doing the same... but I assumed/hoped there was
more I could do.  I also shutdown smartd before pulling the drive, and
start smartd afterwards.  I hope there are not others. ("hope" is a
common theme here... which is why I'm writing to the list)

I didn't know that the heads were parked when the power is cut... but
that is a relief to hear.

Thanks again,

Chris