Install to a Partition problems.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Apr 25 21:14:54 UTC 2015

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015, reg at dwf.com wrote:

> How do I get FreeBSD to install to the 2nd partition of a
> MBR partitioned disk.  The first partition has PCBSD on
> it if this is a complication.
>
> I see nowhere where I can choose a partition (ok slice), and
> the Installer always shows me that it it going to overwrite
> my partiation/slice 1.

In bsdinstall, you must choose Manual Partitioning.  After that, Guided,
then Partition.  Then you must create a new partition by highlighting
the disk name and choosing Create.  The Handbook chapter shows some of
this:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-partitioning.html

I have not tested this lately, so I strongly suggest making a full
backup of the disk first.  Also, MBR makes this much more complicated
because MBR is limited to only four partitions (slices), so BSDlabel
partitions must be created inside the MBR partition (slice).