CPU temperature rise after upgrade

Joseph Mingrone jrm at ftfl.ca
Fri Apr 24 04:03:20 UTC 2015

After upgrading to 10-STABLE (r281907) the baseline CPU temperature on
my Lenovo X220 has jumped by about 30 degrees Celsius.  Before today I
was also running 10-STABLE, but from a few months ago, and the
temperature usually remained in the 50s C unless I was compiling or
doing something else CPU intensive.  Now, the CPU starts at a normal
temperature range, but after a few minutes in Xorg, it starts to jump
into the 80s or 90s C and stays there even with the idle CPU percent
something like 99.7%.  Running top doesn't show anything out of the
ordinary.  The fans sound like they are fine.  They are spinning loudly
even when the CPU is throttled down to a low frequency.  The only
possible hint I can see is this message that appears periodically on the
console:

error:[drm:pid1029:gen6_sanitize_pm] *ERROR* Power management
discrepancy: GEN6_RP_INTERRUPT_LIMITS expected 1a0d000, was 0000000.

I'm not sure if I've seen that on the console before the upgrade.
Graphics performance doesn't seem any different than before.

Thanks for any hints,

Joseph