pkg upgrade Solver problem

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Fri Apr 17 15:00:21 UTC 2015

I've just attempted pkg upgrade with pkg-1.5.1

Fetching mysql56-client-5.6.23.txz: 100%    2 MiB   2.1MB/s    00:01
Fetching mysql56-server-5.6.23.txz: 100%    8 MiB   1.7MB/s    00:05
Checking integrity... done (2 conflicting)
pkg: Cannot solve problem using SAT solver:
dependency rule: package akonadi(r) depends on: qt4-mysql-plugin(r)qt4-mysql-
plugin(l)
dependency rule: package akonadi(l) depends on: qt4-mysql-plugin(r)qt4-mysql-
plugin(l)
upgrade rule: upgrade local qt4-mysql-plugin-4.8.6 to remote qt4-mysql-
plugin-4.8.6
cannot install package qt4-mysql-plugin, remove it from request? [Y/n]: y
pkg: cannot find qt4-mysql-plugin in the request
pkg: cannot solve job using SAT solver
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Conflicts with the existing packages have been found.
One more solver iteration is needed to resolve them.

A second run didn't fix the problem, nor did replying "no" to the "remove it
from request"question.
A further oddity is that subsequent runs ended with the message "Your packages
are up to date" which was certainly incorrect.

I deleted  qt4-mysql-plugin and tried again but got similar errors for p5-DBD-
mysql

pkg: Cannot solve problem using SAT solver:
upgrade rule: upgrade local p5-DBD-mysql-4.031 to remote p5-DBD-mysql-4.031
cannot install package p5-DBD-mysql, remove it from request? [Y/n]: y
pkg: cannot find p5-DBD-mysql in the request
pkg: cannot solve job using SAT solver
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

Prior to the update there had been conflicting requirements for mysql55 and
mysql56 which I'd got round by building p5-DBD-mysql from ports to use
mysql55-client.

After deleting p5-DBD-mysq I was able to complete the upgrade without errors
and then reinstall  p5-DBD-mysq as a package.

I was able to work round these errors but am wondering if the solver ought to
have been able to handle them or perhaps produce less cryptic error messages?

--
Mike Clarke