email address being harvested from ports website

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 13:02:26 UTC 2015

Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 09:31:41 -0400
> Ernie Luzar <luzar722 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I maintain 4 ports and within the last 6 months I have started
>> receiving large amounts of spam on the ports maintainer email
>
> this is an old subject. Some harvester got registered here and collect
> the address of every e-mail posted to this list. They started a long
> time ago by directly answering every e-mail sent out by the list and
> went now to typical spamming.
>
> There is no real way against this. Registration makes it more difficult
> but not impossible.
>
> But they are very easy to filter.
>
>> The http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ website is being harvested for
>> email addresses.
>>
> It is not the web-site, it is the lists from where they get the e-mail
> addresses.
>
>> We all have personally experienced spam email. Now the volunteers who
>> create and maintain the ports in the Freebsd ports collection are
>> being targeted with spam.
>>
> They are very easy to filter. So, why bother.
>
> Erich

As the O.P. the maintainer email addresses are not used for every day
use. There are special email addresses created just for the individual
port. After updating the ports with new email addresses that have never
had email traffic using them I still got spam within a few days of the
the port update.

This has nothing to do with the email address I use for this list.

The http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ website is being harvested for
email addresses.

The maintainer email should not be shown to the public.