email address being harvested from ports website

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sat Apr 11 00:46:50 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 09:31:41 -0400
Ernie Luzar <luzar722 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I maintain 4 ports and within the last 6 months I have started
> receiving large amounts of spam on the ports maintainer email

this is an old subject. Some harvester got registered here and collect
the address of every e-mail posted to this list. They started a long
time ago by directly answering every e-mail sent out by the list and
went now to typical spamming.

There is no real way against this. Registration makes it more difficult
but not impossible.

But they are very easy to filter.

> The http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ website is being harvested for
> email addresses.

It is not the web-site, it is the lists from where they get the e-mail
addresses.

> We all have personally experienced spam email. Now the volunteers who
> create and maintain the ports in the Freebsd ports collection are
> being targeted with spam.

They are very easy to filter. So, why bother.

Erich