squid-3.4.8_1 leaking memory

Dennis Glatting freebsd at pki2.com
Thu Sep 25 11:22:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-09-25 at 18:04 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Dennis Glatting wrote:
> > >
> > > squid-3.4.8_1 seems to be leaking memory heavily. Its SIZE and RES are
> > > growing several MB per minute until eventually swapping begins.
> > >
> > > Is anyone using it? Have you encountered this problem?
> > >
> > > The relevant entries in squid.conf are:
> > >
> > > cache_mem 128 MB
> > > cache_dir ufs /webcache/cache 512 16 256
> > > memory_pools off # neither "on" nor "off" have any effect on leaking.
> > >
> > > As you see, the memory requirements should be rather modest.
> > >
> > > Running on 8.4-RELEASE-p16 i386.
> > >

> > The Squid Cache web site DOES NOT list 3.4.8 as the stable release,
> > rather 3.4.7 is listed as the stable release.
>
> Well, what is 3.4.8 doing in the ports collection then? Someone was
> too quick to adopt it as www/squid ?

There was a long thread last week(?). I read half the messages when I
got home when it seemed things were in good hands. I'm sure there was
good reason.

I am running 3.4.7 (no change sets) on four servers without problems
however these are lower use servers (application proxies, AV proxies,
etc -- with exceptions, generally no longer user proxies). I haven't
noticed a problem but that does not mean there isn't one. Also, they
just went through a security patch cycle and were booted, so I don't
have useful data.

> > There are also 18 change
> > sets listed for 3.4.7 and three for 3.4.8.
>
> Is there a quick and easy way to to downgrade www/squid to 3.4.7?
>
> Tonight I'll be trying to replace it with www/squid33 anyway.

3.3 is EoL or near EoL.