How to have jails checked for out of date applications.

Andrew Berg aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu
Tue Sep 16 23:59:38 UTC 2014

On 2014.09.16 17:44, Brandon Schneider wrote:
> Hello everyone, a FreeBSD newbie here. I have my server set up with 8
> jails or so, and I have been trying to figure out how to get an email
> when there are out of date applications installed in a jail. I currently
> have jailaudit installed, but it seems like "pkg version -vIL\= would
> serve the purpose on the host, but I'm not sure. I'm sure this is a
> common question, but I cannot seem to find an answer on Google. The
> jails are a mix of packages and ports if that makes much difference. I
> also use portmaster for the ports.
Jails are their own userlands, so you would check them as you would the host,
but from within their environment. If you set up Poudriere, you can have your
own repo that you update as you see fit, compile with the options you want, and
simply have the jails install everything from it, automatically updating in a
cron job. This is especially useful if you have many jails (or many other real
machines) and not terribly difficult or complicated if they can all use the
same packages (i.e., you don't need different versions of the same package for
different jails).