Port/Package Upgrade Question

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 14 22:32:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 01:55:10PM -0700, Doug Hardie wrote:

> I have a number of systems that I need to upgrade to 9.3.  I have one system
> that is the development/test system.  Its already at 9.3 and it has a number
> of ports/packages installed that need to be on the production systems.  In
> the past I have built packages for each in /usr/ports/packages/All and then
> just mounted that directory via NFS on the production machines and used
> pkg_add to install them on the production machines.
<snip>
>  However, how
> do I then upgrade the ports/packages from the test system?  The production
> systems can't be used to recompile the ports as that would involve too much
> down time.

If you can live with all production systems having the same stuff installed,
copy `/usr/local`, `/var/db/ports` and `/var/db/pkg` from the development
system to each of the productions systems.

Mind that you probably have to either skip `/usr/local/etc` or install the
correct config files for each machine locally.

Use e.g. tar/nc for the initial install because they're both in the base
system. For later updates it is probably faster to use rsync.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)