Port/Package Upgrade Question

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sun Sep 14 21:04:21 UTC 2014

I have a number of systems that I need to upgrade to 9.3.  I have one system that is the development/test system.  Its already at 9.3 and it has a number of ports/packages installed that need to be on the production systems.  In the past I have built packages for each in /usr/ports/packages/All and then just mounted that directory via NFS on the production machines and used pkg_add to install them on the production machines.

Some of these are packages in that they use the default configuration.  Unfortunately, some of them have to be compiled via the ports system as they use non-standard options.  I have made a package for each of them.

None of the production systems have pkg on them.  They all use the old packages stuff.  I suspect I will first need to convert them over to the pkg system.  Thats not a big deal as its a fairly quick process.  However, how do I then upgrade the ports/packages from the test system?  The production systems can't be used to recompile the ports as that would involve too much down time.