Mounting samba, some files are invisible

Martin greencoppermine at yandex.com
Thu Oct 9 17:22:54 UTC 2014

I am faced with the strangest problem.

I have a Linux box that serves samba. On the box all samba users belongs to "users" group and all files contain the same properties. Everyone in the group has full read and write access.

When I mount the share from Linux or Windows using the same account all is well, but when I mount the same share using FreeBSD, only about half of the files are visible. I don't mean they are hidden and all "map" properties are off.

When I do a "ls -l" only half of the files show up. If I do a full path ls, because I KNOW the file is there, ie.:

  ls -l /mnt/share/foo.pdf

Then I can see it, but if I only do a:

  ls -l /mnt/share/

It doesn't show up.

I have been scratching my head for two days trying to figure out what in the world is going on.

I tried viewing the share with a GUI filemanger from the same FreeBSD box, and then MORE files show up, but still not all of them.

I am pretty confident this isn't a file permission problem because the problem persists even with a setting of 777.

When I do a "ls -ln" to get the uid and gid of the files, on the Linux box, all files contains the same uid and gid, which is the uid of the "users" group.

I am running FreeBSD 10.1-RC1 with "samba36-smbclient-3.6.24" and I am mounting with:

  mount -t smbfs //user at foo-box/share /mnt/share

In smb.conf on Linux I have:

[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = %h server
   dns proxy = no
   interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0
   bind interfaces only = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   pam password change = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
   strict sync = no
   sync always = no
   printable = no
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /dev/null

[pub1]
    path=/share
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    valid users = foo
    admin users = foo
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775

Why can the file manager GUI see more files than "ls"? And why in the world can't they both see all the files?

Where do I go from here? How do I determine if this is a "mount_smbfs" bug, a samba bug, or something else?

Kind regards

Martin