freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 540, Issue 1

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Mon Oct 6 20:54:00 UTC 2014

Daniel <nefar at otherware.org> writes:

>> > The keyboard i have is a USB keyboard. The keyboard works fine in all
>> > scenarios except for when prompted with the geli password.
>> >
>> > http://i.minus.com/ibbw2T5C7Oppp5.jpg
>> >

>> I just realized that I am seeing something similar that might be
>> related.  I don't use geli, but my usb keyboard isn't recognized until
>> about halfway through the boot process.  It works for BIOS setup and
>> after boot, but it doesn't work during the boot menu stage.  I don't
>> know enough to know what the problem is, but that might help someone
>> else limit where the problem is.  You might want to try a minimal
>> installation without geli and see if that is also true for you.  If it
>> is the same problem, then it has been around for a while since mine is
>> running 9.1-RELEASE.  My keyboard is actually a wireless usb one, but
>> that is probably no different than regular usb.
>>

> It works fine without geli, but I'm not sure what stage in the boot process
> to check for it to start working. Do you just hit keys constantly to see?
> I looked in the forums yesterday and people reporting the same issue I have
> saying things worked fine until 9.1-RELEASE. So it could very well be.

In my case I can't use the keyboard during the boot menu, so I can't
select single user mode or verbose boot.  Instead I have to wait through
the timeout to get a normal boot.  If that works properly on yours, then
this must be an independent problem.  I was thinking about it more and
the boot menu is probably controlled by the loader, but I don't know if
geli password is also handled by the loader.
Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org