olvwm on amd64

Alnis Morics alnis.morics at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:29:21 UTC 2014

On 11/20/2014 23:01, Luciano Rottava da Silva wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to setup up a new FreeBSD desktop at home based on the new 10.1
> release.
>
> As usual, my wm of choice is olvwm. Well, didn't know ports/packages are
> not available for amd64, only for i386.
>
> Searching on the Internet I've read in many places the problem is with
> xview and there's no hope for 64-bit platform.
>
> But then I've found the following website:
>
> http://physionet.caregroup.harvard.edu/physiotools/xview/
>
> So, question is, is it possible to run a i386 Linux package in my amd64
> Free machine? Would it be possible run the i386 FreeBSD packages xview and
> olvwm?
>
> How can I run my beloved olvwm? There must be a way!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Luciano.
Of course ports are available for amd64. Just run

portsnap fetch extract

to download and extract the ports tree.

And olvwm is in ports. To install it, run:

cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/olvwm
make install clean

The manual chapter on how to work with ports:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

-Alnis