freebsd-update - 10.0 to 10.1

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Nov 17 14:26:12 UTC 2014

On Monday, November 17, 2014 04:05:22 PM Jerry wrote:

> I received the same message. I decided to go ahead and do
> a complete rebuild of the ports. The message also stated
> that I should run "freebsd-update install" after
> rebuilding the ports. I assume I do that before
> rebooting the machine. Is that correct? I am also
> assuming that I should rebuild the ports BEFORE
> rebooting. I hope so. Because that is what I am doing
> and there was no message that stated I should reboot
> first.

When upgrading between major versions, yes, you certainly
need to rebuild all userland ports before doing the second
reboot, otherwise all hell will break loose when libraries
for the major version are incompatibile with userland ports
built with a library from a previous major version.

My issue is I've never had to do this when upgrading minor
revisions within the same release train.

So I'll go ahead and ignore the message and let you all know
what happens.

Mark.