Captive portal with forced IP?

Olivier Nicole olivier.nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Tue Nov 11 04:44:21 UTC 2014

Hi Martin,

> Does there exist something which requires users to login, but at the same time forces a specific IP to their account?
>
> So if they spoof their mac/ip they cannot login using their normal credentials - they get logged out and looses access?
>
> In this case a user would not only be required to login with his credentials before he can access the network, but his box would also be bound to a specific IP and MAC, which then would have some restrictions due to the firewall.

Instead of forcing a fixed IP, I would look for some captive
portal+firewall that creates dynamic filtering rules depending on the
username:

- the user's machine gets on the network and acquire a dynamic IP
- the user connects to the captive portal
- the firewall updates the filtering rules for the IP being used by the user

That would be more flexible.

Best regards,

Olivier