newsyslog oddity after upgrade to 10.0

Darren Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Fri Nov 7 17:49:16 UTC 2014

I have a pair of servers with newsyslog.conf entries scheduling
rotations daily or monthly (on the first), always at midnight.  When the
systems were running 9.3, newsyslog would rotate them at exactly
midnight (the archive files would have timestamps of 00:00).  After a
freebsd-update upgrade to 10.0, newsyslog is indeed rotating late:
timestamps of 00:58, for example, and the log contents cut off at about
1 am.

The fields had been "$D0" or "$M1D0" in 9.3.  When I saw this not
working right in 10.0, I switched to "@T00" and "@01T00" instead to see
if there was some kind of bug in the older format.  The problem happens
with either specification.

It seemed oddly timed with the switch from Daylight Savings Time, so I
reset both machines to UTC, rebooted them, confirmed they're running on
UTC, but they both still do it.