Post 'svn up .' to Revision: 266585 for 9.2; failure to mount root

Joe Altman freebsd at chthonixia.net
Fri May 23 14:46:11 UTC 2014

Greetings, list...

For 9.2 I recently updated to Revision: 266585 via svn east:

Relative URL: ^/releng/9.2
Repository Root: https://svn0.us-east.freebsd.org/base
Repository UUID: ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
Revision: 266585
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: delphij
Last Changed Rev: 265988
Last Changed Date: 2014-05-13 19:24:14 -0400 (Tue, 13 May 2014)

I then used these instructions, as I normally do:

2. `make buildworld'
3. `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'
4. `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'

upon reboot, this error was written to my screen:

Trying to mount root from ufs:dev/ad4s1a failed with error 19

Then my keyboard fails, so I need to warm reset the machine. Booting
kernel.old (from April 9) succeeds; so following the instructions in the
handbook I mv kernel.old to kernel and reboot. The error above recurs. I
am currently using GENERIC.

Prior to this update, as one might suspect, my machine booted fine from
dev/ad4s1a. Additionally, it boots fine from GENERIC dated Nov 29 2012.

A few minutes ago, I re-ran svn up . but the revision has not changed;
prior to this, I suspected a fault during the kernel build, so I re-ran
that overnight with no success.

uname -a is not helpful, since I am running GENERIC:

FreeBSD whisperer.chthonixia.net 9.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE
#1: Thu Nov 29 10:01:39 EST 2012
root at whisperer.chthonixia.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

The question should be obvious: what happened, and how can I fix it?

Please Cc: since I am not subscribed to the list. I do, however, check
the archived posts at freebsd.org.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Joe Altman