Two impertinent questions

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat May 10 07:53:24 UTC 2014

1) Whose responsibility is it, if anyone's try to insure that the
FreeBSD release disks (e.g. FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso)
can actually be successfully booted when using various makes and
models of CD/DVD/Blu-Ray optical drives?

I ask because trying just now I found that booting that release CD
resulted in utter failure on two out of three optical drives on
one particular system I have... and it seems to me that I have
seen similar sorts of alleged "READ ERRORs" in the past, where
FreeBSD just refuses to work properly with various optical drives
that other OSes don't seem to have any problems at all with.

2)  In what release did FreeBSD's support for GPT partition tables
actually start working correctly?

I ask because I have a hard drive that gives all indications of having
been well and properly partitioned, using a GPT scheme, under Gparted,
and that contains one GTP partition, also created using Gparted,
and whereas FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE seems to correctly see the
partition in question, my old 9.1-RELEASE system is utterly befuddled
by it, and claims that there exists a "corrupted" GPT partition table
on the drive in question.

This has not been a good day.