An admin script to check missing dependencies

Minas Dasygenis mdasyg at ieee.org
Tue Mar 18 16:02:01 UTC 2014

Greetings,

While I administer a number of FreeBSD Servers, I have faced the problem of an application
failing to start, due to a missing dynamic library dependency. Furthermore, if this application
impacts the reputation of the server, then it is mandatory to fix it as soon as possible.

The problem originates when I update a port [using portmaster], which installs a newer version of a library
[e.g. removes the library.so.10 and installs library.so.11]. In such cases, applications
that demand the old library stop working. Usually an "ln -s library.so.11  library.so.10"
fixes the problem, but this means that an early detection is required.

To help myself [and other freebsd administrators], I have created a script that I execute
it daily. This script checks all files on the system. If it finds a missing dependency it reports
it to the user, as well as a possible fix if this is available.

This script is available at my home page at the miscellaneous section:

http://arch.icte.uowm.gr/mdasyg/misc/check_requisite_library_files.sh

I am executing it on every FreeBSD server and whenever a missing library is found
I am notified via email.

Feel free to contribute any improvements via email and I will update it.

Rgz,

MD

---
Dr. Minas Dasygenis