PF error: DIOCSETLIMIT

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Mar 18 13:19:31 UTC 2014

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 05:51:34 -0700 (PDT), cbrace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since recently upgrading my VPS running FreeBSD to 10-RELEASE, something
> broke my PF config; Every time I try to load the ruleset, I see this:
>
> # pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf
> No ALTQ support in kernel
> ALTQ related functions disabled
> pfctl: DIOCSETLIMIT
>
> And the rules are not loaded. I've Googled this but found only this post
> from several weeks ago on the FreeBSD webforum:
> https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45325
>
> No answer there yet.
>
> Does anyone here have any idea what is going wrong on my server?

Are you using the GENERIC or a custom kernel? Check if the
configuration file contains the ALTQ options, just to be sure.
I assume those are not part of the kernel you're currently
running. At least that's what I would conclude from the
error message you've shown.

If I remember correctly, for pf you need the following entries
in the kernel configuration file:

	device	pf
	device	pflog
	device	pfsync