Monitor IO performance

n j nino80 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:42:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm having issues with IO performance on a 10.0-RELEASE VPS. I suspect my
provider might have oversold the resources. I'd like to collect some
statistics before I send them a complaint. I'd welcome any help or pointers
to links/documentation on how to best test IO performance and collect IO
statistics on a prolonged period (e.g. run something every 2 hours for a
few days or something like that) and actually make some sense out of those
numbers. Right now, I'm thinking about running ioping
(/usr/ports/sysutils/ioping) as I find its output quite clear, but I'm not
sure how good an indicator it is without a benchmark to compare it to.

Here's a sample run, these numbers look abysmally low to me:
# ioping -R /tmp
--- /tmp (ufs /dev/ada0s1a) ioping statistics ---
66 requests completed in 3.0 s, 21 iops, 87.8 KiB/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 756 us / 45.6 ms / 681.1 ms / 128.2 ms

P.S. The problems started some time ago and might also be related to the
10.0-RELEASE upgrade. I can't really pinpoint if the problems started with
the upgrade or not, but would appreciate info if anyone else experienced
any IO performance degradation after the upgrade.

Thanks,
--
Nino