Another case of the vanishing disk

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Mar 16 14:33:15 UTC 2014

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014, cruxpot wrote:

> Back in December, it was the power supply. That was a cheap Rosewill
> 300W PSU. The new is a Corsair CX500 (500W). The system basically just
> has an old SCSI card and 4 Green Barracuda 2TB disks and a low end
> pci-e video card and pci-e gigabit NIC. How can the PSU be the problem
> since I replaced it and it's more than adequate?

As before, this does not sound like a power supply problem to me.

"Green" drive power management is sometimes a problem.  Idle drives spin
down to save power, then don't report ready quickly and the system sees
them as down.  If the drives allow it, disable power management.  The
sysutils/ataidle port can do that.  However, some drives ignore the
settings.  Another possibility is to set a longer delay before
spin-down.  Seagate might have utility software that can modify the
settings on the drives.