Another case of the vanishing disk

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Mar 16 13:33:39 UTC 2014

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014, cruxpot wrote:

> Back in December, it was the power supply. That was a cheap Rosewill
> 300W PSU. The new is a Corsair CX500 (500W). The system basically just
> has an old SCSI card and 4 Green Barracuda 2TB disks and a low end
> pci-e video card and pci-e gigabit NIC. How can the PSU be the problem
> since I replaced it and it's more than adequate?

Those SMART numbers are not necessarily a problem.  Seagate reports them
differently than other vendors.  I've found used Seagate drives with
similar ridiculous numbers, but searches found that it was a normal
Seagate thing, and the drives have continued to work normally.  For
example, in 8191 operating hours, a Seagate Momentus drive reports a
Raw_Read_Error_Rate of 1,946,347,38 and a Seek_Error_Rate of
110,829,183.

The counts to really watch are Reallocated_Sector_Ct and
Current_Pending_Sector.