What operating system BSD that makes possible the existence of Internet?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Mar 15 16:31:27 UTC 2014

(Re-including list, hope that's okay.)

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 19:24:44 +0300, Jorge Luis Carvalho Santos wrote:
> And the DragonflyBSD?

I don't know enough about how DragonflyBSD is being
used in production, but at least it shares the BSD
license and currently is under active development,
so it's quite possible that it will also already
be part of some infrastructure that keeps the
Internet running.

There are other "BSD derivates" being used in fire-
walls (pfSense), desktops (PC-BSD) or NAS (FreeNAS),
but I would not call them "essentials of the Internet".
Still the work of those projects, like Free/Open/NetBSD,
can already be part of commercial solutions without the
"manufacturer" giving any hint about this fact. Note
that the BSD license explicitely allows this kind of
usage, that's why it's often called a "rape me license"
among Linux advocates. Luckily, a developer is free
to decide if he wants the BSDL, the GPLv2 or GPLv3,
or a custom license to apply to his works.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany