What operating system BSD that makes possible the existence of Internet?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Mar 15 16:15:08 UTC 2014

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 18:56:21 +0300, Jorge Luis Carvalho Santos wrote:
> I know that the BSD makes possible the existence of the Internet
> and e-mails. OpenBSD  not ended because someone came to pay their
> account energy.

They are running build servers in "real hardware" for
some very specific architectures (e. g. Sun Sparc),
so moving them to an untrusted place hasn't been an
option for the decision makers.

> If OpenBSD had been terminated, the Internet continue to exist?

Sure. OpenBSD (and other BSDs) are in place at many
points where you would not expect them, and they will
continue running. Also the source code is out there,
that's why saying "being terminated" would not really
fit. OpenBSD won't go away just because some bill is
not payed. :-)

> What  operating system  BSD that makes possible the existence
> of  Internet?

Next to OpenBSD, I'd say NetBSD and FreeBSD. They are
already vital components in many appliances and "lower
level servers". There are also many Linux solutions in
enterprise-grade and home-consumer-grade devices.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany