Gnome doesn't come up after system & portupgrade

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Fri Mar 14 09:27:17 UTC 2014

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:15+0100, Ewald Jenisch wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 03:29:20PM +0100, Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After updating both my system/kernel and all installed ports on my
> > system (9.2/AMD64) gnome2 doesn't come up any more.
>
> Hi,
>
> In the meantime I could figure out the root cause of the problem and a
> "cure" against it - maybe this is of help to others also running into
> a problem like this:
>
> My problem was that the entire directory /usr/local/etc/dbus-1 was
> missing on my machine. So I went to another box, also running 9.2, and
> did a "pkg_info -W /usr/local/etc/dbus-1/session.conf" which is just
> one of the files contained in the dbus-1 directory in a working
> installation.
>
> pkg_info -W revealed that dbus-1.6.18 was the package/port responsible
> for these files, so I went ahead re-built dbus-1.6.18 from ports, did
> a make deinstall && make reinstall and everything was fine again.
>
> What I don't know however why this directory was missing in the first
> place, but at least now Gnome is working again.

After the introduction of stage in the ports collection some time ago,
portupgrade has on more than one occasion failed to update installed
ports, mainly due to added dependencies which do get compiled but not
installed. I'm tempted to suggest the temporary installation in the
staging area confuses portupgrade to believe the new dependencies are
installed in their final resting place.

Here's one instance I actually wrote down:

During upgrade of x11/lixcb the other day, portupgrade failed to
handle the requisite x11/xcb-proto properly and manual intervention
was required, i.e.:

portupgrade -Nfprv x11/xcb-proto && portupgrade -fprv x11/libxcb

During the same session, x11/libX11 depended on x11/xtrans and
devel/xorg-macros, both which had never been installed on the system
prior to this moment, and a simple portupgrade -fprv x11/libX11 failed
to do its job, manual intervention became necessary once again:

portupgrade -Nfprv x11/xtrans devel/xorg-macro && portupgrade -fprv x11/libX11

Does anyone else have an opinion/suggestion?

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |