Gnome doesn't come up after system & portupgrade

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Fri Mar 14 09:15:59 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 03:29:20PM +0100, Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After updating both my system/kernel and all installed ports on my
> system (9.2/AMD64) gnome2 doesn't come up any more.

Hi,

In the meantime I could figure out the root cause of the problem and a
"cure" against it - maybe this is of help to others also running into
a problem like this:

My problem was that the entire directory /usr/local/etc/dbus-1 was
missing on my machine. So I went to another box, also running 9.2, and
did a "pkg_info -W /usr/local/etc/dbus-1/session.conf" which is just
one of the files contained in the dbus-1 directory in a working
installation.

pkg_info -W revealed that dbus-1.6.18 was the package/port responsible
for these files, so I went ahead re-built dbus-1.6.18 from ports, did
a make deinstall && make reinstall and everything was fine again.

What I don't know however why this directory was missing in the first
place, but at least now Gnome is working again.

-ewald