VPN choices?

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Thu Mar 13 23:06:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014, Bill Tillman wrote:

>I have had good luck with Open VPN, which is a port in FreeBSD. I can't say
>I've done all that you referenced with it...Skype, etc.. But it's been
>working just fine for my remote network needs. I have it on a server
>running inside of my firewall, which is also a FreeBSD server and I use
>NATD to redirect the port needed for VPN.

We've been using OpenVPN for years with excellent results.  It works very
nicely with clients behind firewalls at hotels and such.

When I'm out of my office, I open an OpenVPN tunnel from my Macbook Pro to
our network, make an ssh connection through the VPN to my normal desktop in
an xterm, then connect to my client's systems using ssh from there.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong
enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson