How to destroy a zpool that can no longer be imported?

Dave B g8kbvdave at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:37:03 UTC 2014

If you don't mind loosing everthing on the physical disk(s)...

	"DBAN"

Darik's Boot and Nuke.  http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/

Unlike Gpart (and GParted) this will truly errase the disk.

What you end up with a truly clean, and able to be used for whatever you want
afterwards, with no odd problems.

I found GParted in particular, though it destroys the partition tables OK, it does
not remove the data on disk that was in the partition.   As a result, I had
terrible troubles a while ago, getting FBSD 9.2 to reload, after I seriously
screwed something up.  GParted didn't do the job, I kept getting strange lib
errors during the reinstall (from CD.)

DBAN did the job, but it does take time, as it writes random noise to the entire
physical disk, sector by sector.   The re-install after that, just worked, no errors.

The price is right, but take care, once let loose, that's it, there is no turning
back.