How to destroy a zpool that can no longer be imported?

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Mon Mar 10 08:13:12 UTC 2014

On 10 March 2014 21:00, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jonathan Chen schreef:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While experimenting ZFS, I've ended up with a zpool that can't be
>> imported:
>>
>> 8:41pm# zpool import
>>     pool: lake
>>       id: 10528535549827216272
>>    state: UNAVAIL
>>   status: One or more devices are missing from the system.
>>   action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
>>          devices and try again.
>>     see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-3C
>>   config:
>>
>>          lake                    UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
>>            12490607842175990247  UNAVAIL  cannot open
>>
>> I don't care about the (non-existent) data, but I would like to remove
>> the pool entry. The standard way is to import the pool and then
>> destory it. However, this pool cannot be import (even with -f) and so
>> there doesn't seem to be a way to destroy it.
>>
>> How do I get rid of this bogus faulted pool?
>

> Try zpool labelclear, it will wipe the labels from the disk.
>
> Be aware that zpool labelclear clears all labels like gimmor, gpart and not
> only zpool labels so you will end up with a clean disk !!!!

Yeah. I've already tried this:

,9:03pm# zpool labelclear -f 12490607842175990247
Unable to open 12490607842175990247

The pool used to be on ada1, but:
,9:04pm# zpool labelclear -f ada1
Unable to open ada1

Hmm. I looked at /var/log/messages and noticed:

Mar 10 20:44:56 osiris kernel: ZFS WARNING: Unable to attach to
diskid/DISK-VFK201R2FDB0BX.
Mar 10 20:44:57 osiris kernel: ZFS WARNING: Unable to attach to ada1.

9:10pm# zpool labelclear -f /dev/diskid/DISK-VFK201R2FDB0BX
9:10pm# zpool import
9:10pm#

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>