server funding

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jun 25 10:16:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 17:02:31 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> > > Enjoy looking at it to your heart's content :) You can even get yourself
> > > a name in .SU
> > > http://www.nic.ru/dns/domain/en/su.html
> > >
> > > Rumour has it that it is now the TLD for South Urals.
> >
> > Now I want the TLD of .dd back - politpilot at tg44.lsklv.nva.dd,
> > and I'm fine with any new re-interpretation of its meaning. ;-)
>
> What was .dd ?

The .dd was the assigned ccTLD for the German Democratic Republic
(Deutsche Demokratische Republik -> DDR -> .dd), and it has
been in use in the late 1980 and early 1990, but only "locally".
It could not be reached "from outside" as it never entered the
DNS root servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.dd

Today, .dd could be used for "copy & convert" services. See
"man dd" for details. :-)

> It looks like anyone now can sponsor a TLD. Try it out, perhaps you
> can promote .dd or whatever you wish?

It's probably a game restricted to wealthy players. :-)

> Should we think of .bsd or .freebsd?

The current development of "freely chosen TLDs" leads to the
assumption that "classic" TLDs aren't that important anymore,
so .bsd or .freebsd would make sense. I'm not sure about how
far users will "adapt" to the concept that e-mail addresses
like doc at en.freebsd or web addresses like www.example.bsd are
valid - or they try to add .com, .net or .org in a "reflex"
manner just to receive errors. :-)

And now take into mind that Unicode characters can also be
used, so http://µy.Fŕ€€bSĐ/ isn't far away. And think about
all the funny attack vectors enabled by "similarly looking",
but actually different URLs... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany