server funding

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Tue Jun 24 15:10:09 UTC 2014

Hello all:
I recently ran across devio.us as a shell provider from BSDNow and had a
thought along those same lines.
I am a fan of MUDs and they're dying out. I'd like to provide a
community where people can work and develop their own MUDs. I'm looking
for a company or someone that wouldn't mind dedicating a couple cheap
servers to this; I'd like to run FreeBSD on one and Linux on the other
to give them a choice in what they run; if I can not get two (since
that's a bit above what I'm expecting), I'll just go with FreeBSD.
My thought is this: free service while you're building your mud, then
you pay $5 minimum (we could have plans, or may maybe even just small
upgrades (extra ram, hd space). for email, web and the mud to run when
you actually start hosting it and getting players. That money would go
directly back into paying for the servers; any extra (if there is extra)
I'd like to donate to Guide dogs for the blind.

Hopefully this doesn't sound to odd. As I said, I'm setting out to do
this to support people in their learning and not to make any money off
of it. Guide Dogs for the Blind is where I received my first guide from;
I'd like to give back with a project like this, even if it is an extra
of $5 a month.

to this end, I am looking for:
1) A grant, fund or similar that would allow me to purchase 1 (possibly
2) servers that could be used for this task. They don't have to be
incredibly high end servers, but I do foresee a lot of compilation
happening, so something with the processing power to sustain that would
be great.
2) A company or individual who has something extra they wouldn't mind
putting up for the cause; I would greatly appreciate that as well.

Thanks all for the time,

--
Take care,
Ty