No packages with 9.3-RELEASE? [was: Re: Port Changes FAQ]

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 19 06:00:20 UTC 2014

On 19/06/2014 04:31, Ian Smith wrote:
>  > pkg(8) is default in 10.0 and will be default in all releases to come on
>  > all branches from now on.  Given that the declared EoL of the old
>  > pkg_tools is due in September there's only one more release (9.3) that
>  > could possibly not have pkg(8) as default: however, my understanding is
>  > that there are no plans to provide any old-style packages with that release.
>
> Please elaborate, Matthew?  This is the first I've heard of this, I've
> seen nothing in -stable or elsewhere, and I'm more than a bit alarmed.

You managed to miss *all* the talk about pkg_tools being replaced by pkg(8)?

Note that I am not at all sure there will be no pkg_tools packages for
9.3.  However I can be sure that there won't be any updates (including
security updates) to any old-style pkg_tools package sets after a couple
of months.

> If 9.3 is not to have pkg(8) packages - whyever not? - and no old-style
> packages, does this mean no package set at all for probably the last 2
> year extended release on the 9 branch?  So will there be no DVD1 with a
> (relatively) consistent set of packages?  Will there be no ports freeze?

Because the old package tools are obsolete and due to be discontinued in
a few months?  There will definitely be pkg(8) packages for 9.3.

There hasn't been a ports freeze for the last couple of releases; just a
slush and a moratorium on sweeping changes.

There will be pkg(8) packages on the DVD installer images.  If that
didn't work for you when installing 10.0 that's a bug.  You know that
all supported branches have the default package repositories enabled now
(including 8.4-RELEASE and 9.2-RELEASE)?  Do you also know how to turn
that off? Like this:

  echo 'FreeBSD: { enabled: no}' > /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

That should solve the problem with your systems wanting to connect to
the net.  However, that 'install packages  from installation media'
thing really should just work.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--