FreeBSD 10.0-R-p7 bind9.9 starting named on boot?

Burton Sampley bsmply at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 21:28:14 UTC 2014

Greetings,

After a very long absence, I have returned to FBSD for a project at home.  I started learning FBSD with 2.1.5R and moved on to other OS's around the 4.x-R days.

I have installed 10.0-R and updated to p-7.  I have installed Bind9.9 from ports and have configured a local domain (chicken.fish), which is doing exactly what I want/need it to do ... until I reboot.  It will not start automagically on reboot.  I have added and confirmed 'named_enable="YES" ' in /etc/rc.conf, but named is not running after a reboot.  I checked dmesg and /var/log/messages, but did not see any error messages for named. I can manually start named with "/usr/sbin/service named start" and it will run without issue, until I reboot.

I've followed the instructions in the handbook in sections 12.4 "Managing Services in FreeBSD" and 28.7 "Domain Name System (DNS)", which is clear-as-mud for FBSD-10 and Bind99 (not using unbound).  I also followed the instructions in section 28.8 "Apache HTTP Server", which successfully starts automagically on reboot.  I have also search the mail archives and have yet to find the magic combination of search terms.

At this point, I have exhausted all the resources I can think of, so it's time to try questions at freebsd.org.  I am officially stumped.  What am I missing???

Here's some of the things I've looked at:

root at fbsd:~ # /usr/bin/uname -a
FreeBSD fbsd.chicken.fish 10.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7 #0: Tue Jul  8 06:37:44 UTC 2014     root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
root at fbsd:~ #
root at fbsd:~ # /usr/sbin/service -e
/etc/rc.d/hostid
/etc/rc.d/zvol
/etc/rc.d/hostid_save
/etc/rc.d/zfs
/etc/rc.d/cleanvar
/etc/rc.d/ip6addrctl
/etc/rc.d/devd
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/named
/etc/rc.d/newsyslog
/etc/rc.d/syslogd
/etc/rc.d/dmesg
/etc/rc.d/virecover
/etc/rc.d/ntpd
/etc/rc.d/motd
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql
/etc/rc.d/sshd
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache24
/etc/rc.d/sendmail
/etc/rc.d/cron
/etc/rc.d/mixer
/etc/rc.d/gptboot
/etc/rc.d/bgfsck
root at fbsd:~ # /usr/sbin/service named rcvar
# named
#
named_enable="YES"
#   (default: "")

root at fbsd:~ # /usr/sbin/service local_unbound rcvar
# local_unbound : local caching forwarding resolver
#
local_unbound_enable="NO"
#   (default: "")

root at fbsd:~ # /usr/bin/more /etc/rc.conf
hostname="fbsd.chicken.fish"
ifconfig_em0="inet <MY IP> netmask 255.255.255.224"
defaultrouter="<MY ROUTER>"
sshd_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
zfs_enable="YES"
apache24_enable="YES"
postgresql_enable="YES"
named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
named_conf="/usr/local/etc/namedb/named.conf"
root at fbsd:~ #

Regards,

-Burton