Problem booting

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Wed Jul 30 06:50:34 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:30:49 -0500
Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>

> Weird. Maybe there is something in the way PCBSD is set up, I don't
> know.

what version your PC=BSD is based on? Isn't it 10.0?

> I have a FreeBSD 10.0 memstick.  The contents of /dev after I pick
> the Live CD are almost identical to what they were with PCBSD.
> There's an additional da4a that I guess has to do with the memstick.
> I don't really see any other differences.

yes, /dev/daX are normally USB devices.

Do you have a normal PC with SATA? Then the internal disk should be
some /dev/adaX. X should be 0 but also can be some other number
depending on your hardware. You should have then some slices/partitions
on that device.

One other thing which should not affect you. Did you install the GTP
schema? Is it sure that your machine can boot from it?

> I tried the same devfs commands as above and the results are the
> same as above.   I may try to install from the memstick, but would
> then want to figure out how to get a desktop going.  Thanks.

I do not know if the memstick contains a desktop. But installing a
desktop is normally the smallest problem.

Erich