Problem booting

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 29 23:23:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 04:19:51PM -0500, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

> > Looks like devfs is configured to not show the partitions. Damn.  Try
> > running
> > `devfs 'rule add path * unhide'` as root to make all possible device nodes
> > show up. Then look again for partitions on ada; `ls /dev/ada*`
> >

> I didn't use any ticks or quotes in the following
>
> pcbsd# devfs rule add path * unhide
> devfs rule: unknown argument: ad4
>
> pcbsd# devfs rule add path ada* unhide
> devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RADD: Input/output error
>
> Should I use some ticks or quotes?

Yes, like this:

    devfs rule add path '*' unhide

Otherwise the * will be expanded by the shell.

> Nothing new under dev yet.
>
> > What output does `gpart show` produce? It should give you all the
> > partitions
> > on all available drives.
> >

> It lists cd0 and iso9660

Weird. Maybe there is something in the way PCBSD is set up, I don't know. I've
never used it.

Is there anything in the PCBSD boot CD/image that you can use to mount the
harddisks in the computer?

Or could you try booting from a original FreeBSD live CD/memstick?

Otherwise you might have to wait for someone knowledgable in PCBSD to weigh
in.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)